Thursday, July 17, 2008

Feeding Willow



Feeding Willow is a full time job. She gets fed 3 lbs of orchard/timothy pellets and about 2/3 lb beet pulp 6 times a day. Every 3 hours. It takes her 45 mins to finish this. I moisten the pellets and soak the beet pulp then spritz it with molasses very diluted with water. She also gets vitamins and a pro biotic. She gobbles this mixture right up. As soon as she hears me scooping pellets she is in her feeding spot, dancing around.

I really like the Mid Valley Milling pellets, they are kind of soft, but the feed store was out of them until late August. The other feed store doesn't carry them so I am using Standlee Hay Pellets. They are working ok.

Willow will be getting her teeth floated next Wednesday, I hope it will make a difference. She cannot eat grass or hay. It just falls out of her mouth.

Tomorrow I have to work. Luckily I work across the road from where I live. I will be able to keep Willow on her feeding schedule and get lots of exercise running back and forth.

Michelle

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very very beautiful ...

»-(¯`v´¯)-»Bink»-(¯`v´¯)-» said...

HI,
I am Magicarabianlover on SOS board..Darla. I was wondering why you consider the Standlee company as a second choice? That is what I have available..and was just curious if you thought they were inferior or anything? (just curious). I too am feeding two Senior horses and want to do what is best for them. Thanks!

Willow said...

Just for Willow. Her teeth are very bad right now. Mid Valley pellets are not as hard as the Standlee ones.
The Mid Valley pellets break down easier. I don't think the Standlee pellets are inferior. Willow get her teeth done on Wednesday. Hopefully then she will be able to chew better.

Michelle

CraniallyChallenged said...

What a beautiful mare!!!! I am Judy81350 on the ABN board. You did a wonderful thing for Willow. I have 4 oldsters myself and they are treasures beyond words. Willow is so lucky you saved her.

Judy

Anonymous said...

Hi its Nic from the SOS page............I have a 31 year old thoroughbred that eats the Standlee orchard pellets and I have found that soaking them in warm water softens them up faster. I put them in his feeder add the water and put his senior on top so by the time the senior is gone the pellets are ready.

Willow is very pretty and so lucky she doesn't look her age. Congratulations on getting her.
Nicole'