Saturday, July 19, 2008

Who Willow is




I finally got around to clipping Willow's freeze mark to see if it would make it more legible and it did. I could now read the symbols quite well. I went to this page then logged on to Arabian Horse DataSource and found her quite easily.

She is Khejora-AHA 206572, a 1980 edition by Jora Honey Ku++ out of Khelala. Yes, she is 28 years old. Willow (I am going to keep calling her that) was never really transferred out of her breeders name. It appears her breeders had alot of horses in the late 70's and 80's, they were based in Virginia. In 1989 she was transferred into the women's name and they ended up in Issaquah, WA., that's where the trail ends.

I think she was just part of the fall out of the 80's tax shelter scam.

I wish I could find out more about her. Willow is a very nice girl. I she is well trained, she clipped without any problems and she has wonderful ground manners. What happened between 1989 and now is any ones guess.

She has an unusual injury to her right hind hoof and pastern, that looks like it took time and effort to heal.

I have a theory on how is ended up at the feed lot. Willow has a callous on her withers. I think maybe she was left in a blanket all winter, no one bothered to check her. Maybe they didn't notice she wasn't eating right or maybe they just didn't care. Anyway, when they did take her blanket off and she was so thin they probably decided not to spend any money on a 28 year old horse. They hauled her to an auction.

Had I known Willow was 28 I may not have got her, but I am very glad I did. She is a gem.

(if you click on the pictures they will enlarge so you can see the marks more clearly)

Michelle

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So she is 28? Well. Thats okay. She needs a nice home like yours to live out her retirement. It sounds like she had quite the life.

Sad that she lived so long, and then someone decided that she wasn't worth their time.

»-(¯`v´¯)-»Bink»-(¯`v´¯)-» said...

That is cool that you found all out about her. She is in the best place possible. I am such an "arab" nut. My boy, Magic, has been aged at around 35 and has the stamina and "get up and go" of a 15 yr old horse. He is my best friend. I wish you the best with Willow, she is a special girl! I am so happy she found you! Thanks for being so great with her! I am hoping that all the SOS horses end up in the same situation...a very loving, caring home such as yours!~

Thank you,
Darla

Willow said...

I'm glad to hear that about Magic. I hope Willow is around for a long time. She is quite spunky also.

Michelle

verylargecolt said...

Very cool that you found her identity out. I also wanted to say I think you are feeding her perfectly to put the weight back on and I will bet she looks normal in 2-3 months. Glad she went home with you!